Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Broken Fishing Rod and Owl Poop - A tale of high adventure

Today I went fishing - I finally have a place to fish where I am guaranteed to catch good fish. It is on a friend's private property out in the country where no one else fishes, which is usually a good set up for fish tales. Today's tales involve catching fish, braking my rod, and then getting pooped on by an owl.

After trial and error and reading a book on bass fishing I have now figured out how, when, and where to catch bass. However, the first bass I caught today snapped my rod as I was pulling it out of the water. I would like to claim it was a huge fish, but it is more likely that my rod snapped because it is old, worn out, and was about due to break. While I was recovering from my disappointment, I felt something wet hit my leg and I saw some white fluid land on the ground. I was a bit surprised, jumped back and looked up...... and there, 10 feet above my head were 2 owls starting at me. They were big owls, not little Harry Potter owls that deliver letters, but real Texas sized owls.
For some reason, it totally freaked me out!! My mind was racing and started to quickly walk away. I was imagining being attacked by an owl in the middle of nowhere. I tried to remember what I have learned about owls and how to avoid owl attacks. My mind continued to race as I walked away. And then I looked back. There they sat, still as statues, watching me walk away.
Regaining my wits I put on a new lure and with half of a fishing rod I caught another bass. The owls didn't follow me. Maybe they pooped on me on purpose because they wanted their own little owl space to themselves.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails