Saturday, June 2, 2007

Skit night

Tonight was our annual skit night at the residency - this involves each class and the faculty making skits where we make fun of each other.......

it was a lot of fun. It was also interesting because I got to learn how to edit video. We have a special computer program to do it at work. It was something I always wanted to learn how to do and I enjoyed it for the most part, except of course when the whole project got erased and I had to start over.

My friend Paul Miller has some experience editing video and from his experiences I don't think a video is any good unless it gets destroyed/erased/computer crash at least once..... so hopefully my experiences passes.


Another first experience for the week is that I had a patient with a subdural hematoma (bleed in the brain) and the Neurosurgeon showed me how to drain it at the bedside... he got me started and then left and said "your doing great" he came back just before I popped through the skull and got blood to come out, which is the goal of this procedure. It took about 7 minutes of rotating a very strong needle to get through the skull.

Unfortunately, the patient died today......now I am sure that nothing was my fault - he died from respiratory problems. But you can't just help but wonder and doubt yourself. At the very least God is confirming my call to family practice and reminding me that I would never make it as a neurosurgeon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails