Early this morning I woke up to go out with some friends to shoot guns - in Texas this is roughly equivalent to the Saturday AM prayer breakfast that I used to attend in Philadelphia. When I got home there was a man named Randy cutting the neighbor's grass. Randy cuts grass to support him family and his sick wife.
Last night his wife had lost her paycheck - he looked particulary emotional post-hot weather grass cutting. I happened to have $10 in my pocket (very rare for me to have money) and I gave it to him.
Within the next hour I went out for a jog and on the ground I found some money, which I quickly picked up and put in my pocket. It turned out to be - seven dollars - bet you thought I was going to say ten - nope this is not going to be one of those cheesy stories.
It got me to thinking - is God repaying me for the kind deed that I did? Honestly, I think not. If God went tit for tat with me, repaying good for good and bad for bad, I would get a lot worse things in life.
One other thing crossed my mind - maybe I should look around for the closest person and see if it belong to them. I heard a voice in my head - "Matt, don't be a sucker - don't you remember the Dallas Zoo".... the Dallas Zoo what does that have to do with anything.... o yeah, now I remember.
A few years ago at the Dallas Zoo I found $105 dollars, sitting at the entrance gate. I took it to guest relations. They didn't know of anyone who had lost it. I asked if I could leave it there and if not claimed by the end of the day that I could come get it back. I was shocked to learn that they said "no" - if you leave it then you leave it for good. And if it is not claimed then it is donated to the zoo. So I left it - I would prefer to have a monkey cage with my name on it, but more likely the staff meant by "donating" that they would divy it up the next day amongst themselves.
1 comment:
I think I might have just kept those $105. What sorts of guns did you shoot?
Post a Comment