The last 24 hours of work have been pretty remarkable and to let them pass without embalming them in the blog would be a shame....
As an intro, this month I am doing Gynecology during the day and every 5th night I am in the hospital on call to deliver babies. I also work in our own clinic twice a week, so quite a variation.
Here is the rundown
1 ectopic (tubal) pregnancy that had to be removed in the OR ( I did nothing)
1 C-Section ( I did nothing) but the really remarkable thing here is that the baby weighed 10 lbs and 9 oz, roughly Isabellas 5 week old weight, and she is not a small baby. This guy looked like a giant! The reason for the C-section was macrosomia (large baby) and it seemed pretty wise by the OB that called it - the pt's previously 2 children were premature at 4 pounds and 5 pounds
1 vaginal delivery - ( I didn't do much here either) paged at 3:50 AM, got to the floor by 3:55, baby delivered at 3:57 as I am putting on the gown. The mother had used cocaine earlier in the evening and went into labor. As I was delivering the placenta she kicked me in the chest - first time that has happened. Thank the Lord she didn't have tears or complications because the attending doctor didn't show up for a while, and he didn't seem to particularly care about a 30 year old having her 6th baby. She had not seen a doctor for the entire pregnancy. The only good thing in the world about cocaine is that it causes your blood vessels to constrict and that means that her bleeding was very minimal.
1 seven year-old girl- the sweet little girl was getting ready for school and putting on her favorite dress for her Easter pictures. As she sat on her bed pulling the dress over her head she toppled about 2 feet onto a tile floor falling on her outstretched wrist. In the office she was all prettied up but holding her L arm close to her body. On x-ray there was a fracture of the humerus (arm bone between shoulder and elbow) which is actually quite bad. She had to see an orthopedic doctor right away.
1 comment:
She really kicked you in the chest? Dude, that's hilarious!!
Post a Comment