In the ER, room number 12 is usually occupied by a psychiatric patient - I am not sure why this is. Today, I was examining a patient in the hallway (not in room 12) who also happened to have psychiatric illness and was described an episode of mania.
The man in room 12, who I knew nothing about kept calling out "Sir, Sir"... I told him I would see him when I finished with my patient. When I went in to say hi, he informed me that one of the decorative stockings had fallen off the wall. I said, "Thanks, I'll go pick it up" and as I left he continued to call for me. I retrieved the stocking located across the hall and then I returned to his beckon. He asked me very seriously "Do you believe in Santa Claus?" and with a straight face I said "no". He then asked me, "Do you know what Jesus said about Santa Claus?" and then he continued "It's all in your head".
I wasn't sure how to respond, and I couldn't hold it in, so I burst out laughing and told him I would see him later. Later on in the day a group of carolers came through. And there was the man in room 12, singing along and just a bit out of key.
No comments:
Post a Comment