I am on my second week of ER....... it is quite exciting. I work 7-7 5 days a week, so it doesn't leave too much extra time. Katie is doing ok with it. She continues to feel well, and the baby continues to move more and more. Our anticipation for the baby seems to be growing much stronger by the week.
Here is a quick rundown of the week.....
Yesterday, I had a great day of suturing and draining abscesses. A retired policeman came in about 1 PM.... after 3 Miller Lites and a table saw he had a 6 inch cut, affecting his thumb and hand. It took me more than an hour, but I got it numbed, cleaned and I gave him 20 stitches..... pretty wild. He had his police partner with him, deriding him for being a retard, which he pretty much deserved. The other policeman summed it up pretty well, "If it were me, he would be saying the same thing."
Today, I had one of the most difficult patients of the year. A 23 year old guy who had abdom pain. Actually, it wasn't the patient who was difficult, it was his female friend who claimed to be his "sister". I wasn't going to question the female, but she refused to be quiet and repeatedly referred to him as her "brother". Of course this doesn't seem odd to you, because you don't know yet that he was light skinned hispanic and she was African-American. After the third time of speaking up for her "brother" I asked, "so how exactly are you two related". She seemed offended. I meant none. She then said, just because I'm African-American doesn't mean we can't be related. I agreed. She finally admitted, "He is my brother in Christ" and so I said, "Well, I guess your my sister two."
Much more to come.... this is too long, have a great week
No comments:
Post a Comment