Thursday, July 31, 2008

Plague of Biblical Proportions

The hurricane is long gone but are area is still reeling...... largely due to a mosquito infestation.
Now we have all heard people say "the bugs are bad", and we all have experienced mosquitoes. But imagine trying to mow your lawn and in the first 90 seconds you have a dozen of them buzzing around you, attaching to your long sleeved shirt and trying to bite through your clothes.
These little flying vampires are roughly the size of a dime. It seems they have never eaten before and they will die if they do not bite a human, drawing out some of the host's blood. I learned today that mosquitoes can only fly at 1 km/hr, which makes it sound like you could shake them by walking really fast but that doesn't seem to happen in reality.

I'm reminded of a friend named Clint who I worked with in Virginia. We did grounds keeping at a very upscale golf course. He was a simple guy who loved NASCAR. I tried to wow him with my mosquito knowledge by sharing the following fact: if you allow the mosquito to bite, draw your blood, and detach on its own without any swatting you will not get the bump of a mosquito bite. Clint responded in a way that showed he was smarter than me when he said he would rather have mosquito bites than allow unchecked mosquitoes possibly inflict him with West Nile Virus....... I couldn't argue and we left it at that

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails