There is rumour that having a daughter softens your heart in a way that wouldn't otherwise happen, and I am starting to believe it. This is why......
Last night I actually watched the movie Pride and Prejudice with Katie.
It was the version from 1995, and we only made it 2 hours into the 2 discs, but it was a big step for me.
Jane Austen wrote in the late 18th and early 19th century and was influenced by William Cowper.* She was the daughter of a clergyman. It made me wonder how this affected her descriptions of Mr. Collins, the family cousin who comes to call on the family looking for a wife. Mr. Collins was a clergyman himself. In fact, it has made me wonder why literature in general is unabashed at mocking clergyman, particularly English literature.
*William Cowper was an English Poet and hymn-writer. He was a long time friend of John Newton. He suffered from mental illness and attempted suicide many times, never succeeding.
He wrote "There is a fountain filled with blood flowing from Emmanuel's veins". I have read him multiple times quoted by Charles Spurgeon
an intersting link http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/f/tfountfb.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment